PDF Print

Abbington - The Abbey

The name Abbington may be considered as a modification of Abbeyowny, which sounds in Irish "Mainistir Uaithne". that is , the Monastery of Uaithane, the latter being the name of the territory in which the establishment was situated.

In Smith's Collections for Limerick Papers MSS, (Annals), we find it written that at AD1205, that: " In the 17th year of king John, Thoebald Fitswalter Fitzgilbert Beckett, the first Lord Butler of Ireland, founded the monastery of Wethebcia.  Abbington, founded for the Cistertian Monks 1205.  Lord Butler was buried in the monastery in 1206 as was in 1299 Theobald, vice butler of Ireland.  The first Lord Butler was apparently the nephew of St Thomas A'Beckett, the Abbot had the honour of being one of the Lords Spiritual and sat as such in the House of Peers".

The Abbey was a major place of regional activity through to the 1500's, when in Ad 1550; the Abbey was burned by O'carroll.  John O'Mulrean was the last Abbot.  Abbington was often previously referred to as the Abbey of Woney or Watheny.

Abbington - The Town

Situated on the River Mulchair, is a small town about 7 miles east of Limerick; it has a church in good repair with a glebe house and the Parish contains 4248 acres.

Last Updated on Saturday, 24 April 2010 12:17